Thursday, November 11, 2010

something I really wish I could do...

Throughout my time writing my thesis there have been so many events I wish I could take part in, while also recognising that there are heaps of great things that I have been lucky enough to get to do. However this really would be my ultimate dream come true...http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts/archives/2010/11/11/social-science-phd-internships-at-microsoft-research-new-england-spring-summer-2011.html

You don't need to click the link, basically it details the Microsoft Summer research internships - one of my dreams...likely to remain unfulfilled.

This morning we had a 'end of year' session to talk about our year - based around the theme of travel - spoke a bit about my travel last year to Limerick for the Morrissey symposium and my trip to Sydney this year for a conference. It made me realise that I didn't travel as much this year as last and that post-grad students are a pretty well-travelled bunch of people!
Now I am writing yet another conference paper for my first presentation in my home town. It is on blog aesthetics, allusions to still life and 'branding indie craft blogs'. As I am in Visual Arts, this 'visual/aesthetic' element of the blogs has always been lurking around in the shadows and now is a good chance to address these ideas. Why do we like what we see? Is there a difference between screen image and the object? Do we prefer the screen image?
My own interest in this research topic stemmed from my own affectual feelings towards the images I was viewing on the blogs, the 'perfect' product shot, inspiring home ideas...now to analyse all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment