Sunday, August 7, 2011

keeping calm

I just had a little chuckle to myself at the description on the right "zooming towards the end". Speed, yes, at times it feels like I have been writing the thesis for an age! Other times...it....feels...so....slow. I spent the weekend preparing the document, tidying sentences, fixing references and don't get me started on my missing images. I am going to keep calm, carry on and deal with them tomorrow. Now is not the time to stress out.


Perhaps strangely I don't mind this last part - whether thesis, essay or any other long piece of writing. My particular way of working is to go through the document, make a list, cross them off. It helps me feel like I am making tangible achievements.

I remember a talk we had as Honours students about always having in mind the question "why does this matter?" - meaning, I think, keep sight of the central issue/s, remember the reader. At times I have said "why is this important? who cares?". Today I came across this article in The Age titled "World at their Tweet" (cute). It reminded me that what I am writing about does have wider implications, it is happening. I felt better.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I happened to find your blog when I did a google search on "indie craft research." My name's Katie Aldrin and I go to Williams College in the States. I'm currently doing research for an undergraduate sociology thesis on indie crafts, specifically the relationship between craft and community.

    Since I am still doing fieldwork, I'm not exactly sure where my focus will lay, but it will probably have something to do with crafts as communities of shared practice or crafts as contributing to placemaking.

    I would love to read your thesis when you are finished with it, or to talk with you about it! I've started a blog to post about research questions that I'm thinking about at different times.

    Glad to see other people have been out there researching crafts!

    http://craftycommentary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie, thanks for commenting! Glad you found me, I had a look at your blog - your research is very interesting. I hand in my thesis at the end of August & then after it's been to the examiners I'd be happy to send you a copy. I've also got journal papers about to by published I could send.
    Would love to have someone else to talk about indie craft to :)

    ReplyDelete